Sunday, 18 January 2015

My Healthy Skin Diet

Skin update: My skin has been smooth and clear and quite great. Even despite stopping my three month gluten-free, coffee-free and sugar-free diet completely two weeks ago and beginning to experiment with different foods as per my naturopath's suggestion. I can't believe it and I think it might have to do with the two courses of berberine I completed. Gluten doesn't seem to be a problem, and I've been GORGING on sugar. Danishes, candies, chocolates, you name it, I've been eating it. I was waiting for my skin to explode, but it didn't for a full week and half . . .until this past Wednesday. No cystic pimples, but a few whiteheads, inflammation spots and one pimple that's been lingering. It is clearing back up again, but I know it's time to start the sugar-free and gluten-limited diet again. I feel so much better on it, and it's healthier for me and my skin. I'm pretty much an all-or-nothing girl when it comes to sugar, so this is the best way to go for me. Even just a taste gets me craving more. As of this coming Monday, I'm off refined sugar again.

I read a good blog post on The Love Vitamin the other day that talked about how to make permanent diet changes that are more sustainable and without feeling so deprived. She talked about how rather than taking things out of your diet and being really strict, another approach is to try and eat certain things daily that are packed with nutrients and are skin-nourishing. Like kefir and bone broth and green juice, for example. The healthy options fill you up and leave less room in your diet for unhealthy foods. Plus, eating those nutrient-packed foods become routine.

Here's a list of supplements and whole foods that I'm trying to incorporate daily/every other day:
  • Probiotic pills (X2): Probiotics help balance any negative effect berberine may be having on the bacteria balance in my gut. 
  • Raw goat's milk kefir: I belong to a fresh goat's milk co-op, and get kefir from the farmer as well. Kefir (fermented milk) is an excellent source of probiotics and amazingly gut healing.  
  • Fresh green juice (kale/spinach/fruit/assorted veggies): To give my skin a boost of antioxidants, vitamins and alkalizing compounds. And, it's just delicious! 
  • Fermented cod liver oil/butter oil (1-2 tsp): Green Pastures Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter oil is the best supplement you can take to promote healthy skin. It's jam packed with readily bioavailable omega 3's,DHA,EPA and Vitamins A&D
  • Homemade Organic Chicken Bone broth (few times a week): Bone broth made from beef, chicken or pork bones (especially the collagen-rich feet and joints) contains tons of nutrients, minerals and gelatin to promote a healthy gut and skin. 
  • Zinc (50 mg): Zinc is vital for clear skin. It regulates oil gland activity, keeps your pores open, and is needed to manufacture many hormones, including sex hormones. It's easily depleted and often your skin is the first to suffer.    
  • Berberine (1,000 mg): I believe this anti-microbial herb is helping my skin immensely. 
  • Magnesium (600 mg): Magnesium helps regulate cortisol, aids digestions, lowers blood sugar and helps you sleep better, among other things. It's easily depleted as our body dumps magnesium during times of stress. 
A green juice is the perfect midday snack. Cheers!








6 comments:

  1. Nice post. You really had a long journey with acne. Good result. I also found some tips here. This is written how to get rid of acne and reviews. Really helpful.
    You'll reading my uncensored review, where I will inform you what I think about this acne treatment system. : link Acne Treatment Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding particular topic thanks for this share. Sierrasil Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 36 years old and I've had severe PD for the past two years. It kinda got better when I stopped using fluoride toothpaste, make up, sulfates, moisturizers, etc. but never went away completely. 30 days ago(in the middle of a bad breakout - I had scaley, itchy, painful red blotches over and under my eyes and around my mouth) I started the Whole30 diet. I KID YOU NOT - by day four, there was not a TRACE of PD on my face!!! And now 30 days later, my skin hasn't looked this good in years! If all else has failed you, please, please, please try Whole30 and see if it changes your life like it changed mine. PD is so debilitating and depressing, and I really hope this helps y'all too! I am a happy girl again, praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, Elizabeth! What does the Whole30 diet entail?

      Delete
    2. This is Whole30 in a nutshell:
      It's an extreme version of the caveman-inspired Paleo diet fast becoming the next 'it' weight-loss program to follow. The month-long Whole30 plan prohibits the consumption of sugar, beans of all kinds, peas, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, grains, dairy, alcohol and honey. Basically just eating real food! I couldn't believe how fast my skin cleared up after starting it. Oh, and I lost 15 pounds of baby weight too, so that was a plus!

      Delete
  4. Acne is a skin condition that causes pimple or zits. This is very common problem among teenagers. A recent acne study published that if you take vitamin D supplements continuously for 8 weeks, you can reduce acne formation. Acne is a curable disease and for that you have to use correct medicine in correct timing. The best and tested way to treat acne is a natural treatment. Natural ingredients are safe and effective.

    ReplyDelete